The 2019 Summer Arts Festival begins the week of June 3 in downtown Blacksburg with a full season schedule of music, theatre, film, and art offerings. The festival is presented in partnership between the School of Performing Arts at Virginia Tech and the Town of Blacksburg. All events are free and family friendly.
Friday Night Outdoor Concerts
Live music will take place Friday evenings on Henderson Lawn, at the corner of Main Street and College Avenue. All concerts begin at 6 p.m. In case of inclement weather, concerts will be moved indoors.
- Orquestra Tropikiimba (Afro-Cuban salsa), June 7
- The Domino Band (R&B), June 14
- Gerry Timlin (Irish folk), June 21
- Half Throttle (contemporary rock and country), June 28
- Java Brothers (country and bluegrass), July 12
- Surrender Dorothy (classic rock and rockabilly), July 19
- The Rick Strickland Band (beach), July 26
Cool off with a free classic movie at the historic Lyric Theatre, located at 135 College Avenue. All movies begin at 3 p.m.
- “Harold and Maude,” June 8 and 12
- “A Night at the Opera,” July 6 and 10
- “Guys and Dolls,” Aug. 10 and 14
The Roanoke Children’s Theatre will present six free performances of “School House Rock Live!” Performances will be June 15-17 in Squires Studio Theatre, located on the second floor of the Squires Student Center at 290 College Avenue. Free reservations will be available online beginning June 1.
“Bottom Up, Top Down” Art Exhibit
Stained glass sculptures by Nikki Pynn will be on display June 7 to Aug. 9 in the Perspective Gallery, located on the second floor of the Squires Student Center. An opening reception will be held on June 7 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. with music by Kat Mills.
- Summer Solstice Fest, June 15, 1-11 p.m.
- Independence Day Celebration, July 4
- Art at the Market, July 20, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Steppin’ Out Street Festival, Aug. 2-3
- Blacksburg Market Squire Jam, every Wednesday, June 5 through Sept. 25, 8-10 p.m.
Sign up for weekly Summer Arts Festival updates from the School of Performing Arts here.
Parking is available on weekends and after 5 p.m. weekdays in the Squires Lot at the corner of College Avenue and Otey Street, the Architecture Annex Lot on Otey Street, and the Perry Street/Prices Fork lots, and in the North End parking garage. Find more parking information online or call 540-231-3200. Alternative parking is available in the Kent Squire parking garage and the Farmers Market metered parking lot, both located on Draper Road. Additional downtown Blacksburg parking information is available online.