The guest speaker for the luncheon was Dr. Robert Trestman, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Chair of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, and Carilion Clinic Senior Vice President and Chair of Psychiatry.
Approximately 160 friends and supporters, as well as students, faculty and staff of Jefferson College, filled the ballroom to celebrate the College and the recipients of the College’s annual alumni awards.
The Jefferson College Alumni Awards Program was created in 2015 to honor outstanding graduates with two awards, the Distinguished Alumni Award and the Recent Alumni Achievement Award. This year, the award categories expanded to also include the new Blue Healer Award and the Legacy Award.
The most prestigious award given by the Jefferson College of Health Sciences Alumni Association, the Distinguished Alumni Award is given to members of Jefferson College’s alumni body who have achieved national, regional, statewide, or local prominence either in their professional fields or through their involvement in civic, cultural, or charitable activities. The following were named the 2018 recipients of the Distinguished Alumni Awards:
- Marci Martin, PTA ‘01, Saber Healthcare-Director of Rehabilitation, Liberty Ridge Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Glen R. Mayhew, EHS ‘87, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Dean for Instructional Effectiveness
- Kathy Sanders, ASN ‘85, Kissito Healthcare- Chief Nursing Officer
- Susan M. Smith, BSN ‘03, Carilion Clinic, Director, Life-Guard
The Recent Alumni Achievement Award honors Jefferson College of Health Sciences graduates who, at the early stages of their career, have distinguished themselves and demonstrated promise of even greater achievement. These awards are given annually to graduates of the last ten years who have attained notable achievements in their field or endeavor. An alumnus/ae may receive this award only once and remains eligible for the Distinguished Alumni Award. The following were named 2018 recipients of the Recent Alumni Achievement Awards:
- Amanda M. Allen, MSN ‘18, Carilion Children’s Hospital, Unit Director, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Jennifer Bath, MSN ‘10, Carilion Clinic – Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Jacob J. Elias, DHSc ‘18, SpecialtyCare, Intraoperative Neurophysiology Clinical Manager
- Alexandra J. Nassif, MS-PA ‘16, Velocity Care by Carilion Clinic, Physician Assistant
The Blue Healer Award, introduced in 2018, honors Jefferson College of Health Sciences graduates who embody the spirit of Jefferson College, and who have been inspirational to others overcoming adversity. The following was named recipient of the 2018 Blue Healer Award:
Kelly N. Berry, BS ‘15
The Legacy Award, introduced in 2018, celebrates our beginnings in 1982 through the present, and represents anticipation of continued growth and transition. This prestigious award is symbolic of the excellence in our alumni community throughout the history of our college, yesterday, today and in years to come. The following alum was named the recipient of the 2018 Legacy Award:
Beth L. Gold, DIPL-Nursing ‘82, Frith, Anderson and Peake, Nurse Paralegal