On April 7, 2018, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) will host its annual Trout Heritage Day. A group of 20 waters will be freshly stocked with trout to allow trout anglers and communities to plan activities around a known stocking date. The Department has worked with the U. S. Forest Service, local communities and private landowners to provide this opportunity.
Trout Heritage Day falls on the historic opening day of trout season and has been developed to provide the type of fishing event that anglers who like opening day have missed.
The DGIF eliminated opening day of trout season in 1996 in order to increase the number of times streams are stocked and to provide increased trout fishing opportunities from October through May. While the majority of trout anglers continue to support this programmatic change, some trout anglers and communities liked the atmosphere and opportunity provided by the old opening day.
Participation in the Trout Heritage Day has increased over the years as anglers have reported good success on most waters and have been very pleased with the fishing opportunities provided.
The following waters will be stocked for Heritage Day on April 7, 2018:
|• Beartree Lake, Washington County
• Bark Camp Lake, Scott County
• Clinch Mountain Fee Fishing Area*, Washington County
• Cripple Creek (Ravens Cliff), Wythe
• Crooked Creek Fee Fishing Area*,
• Douthat Lake Fee Fishing Area*,
• Hawksbill Creek, Page County
• Jennings Creek, Botetourt County
• Lake Witten, Tazewell County
• Liberty Lake, Bedford County
|• Lincolnshire Lake, Tazewell County
• Middle Fork Holston River, Smyth
• Passage Creek, Shenandoah County
• Pedlar River (upper), Amherst
• Pigg River, Franklin County
• Quantico MCB, Prince William
• Robinson River, Madison County
• Rose River, Madison County
• South Fork Powell River, Wise County
• Tinker Creek, Roanoke County
*The fee fishing areas are closed to angling from April 2-6. Heritage Waters are closed on Friday, April 6th. On April 7, fishing can begin at 9:00 a.m.
NOTE: The printed version of the 2018 Freshwater Fishing and Boating digest has incorrect information for the 2018 Trout Heritage Waters.
Remember to always check the DGIF website for the most up-to-date and accurate information before heading out! Or, download the GoOutdoorsVA app and always be prepared for your next outdoor adventure.