In a moving ceremony in Old Southwest, Boy Scout Troop 221 from Cave Spring presented the Colors at the Rededication of the Memorial boulder on Argonne Circle, and troop trumpeter John Vitello played the National Anthem. Originally dedicated on November 11, 1925, the monument was a gift to the people of Roanoke from the Margaret Lynn Lewis Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. On a bronze plaque, rendered splendid by the pale green patina of age are the words:
IN HONOR OF THE ROANOKE SOLDIERS
WHO SERVED IN THE WORLD WAR
The invocation was led by Chapter Chaplain Dorathy Piedmont. Chapter Regent Sarah McDaniel welcomed those attending the ceremony and recognized several veterans as special guests of honor, as well as the DAR State Historian and Chaplain.
Virginia Trinkle Vinyard spoke on “The Battle of Argonne Forest,” which took place in France and Regent McDaniel on the “History of the Argonne Circle Monument,” ending with the dedication of a bronze plaque below the original plaque which reads, “Now Honoring All Veterans Past and Present.” The ceremony ended with the singing of “God Bless America” by high school student Lies Wallin and the Retiring of the Colors by Boy Scout Troop 221.
– By Gail Lambert