Flu season has officially begun. This year, however, health systems are also facing what has been coined as the “twin-demic.” Flu and Covid-19 share many of the same symptoms, and experts are urging community members to get their flu shot.
To help combat this problem, Carilion Clinic, LewisGale Regional Health System, the Salem VA Health Care System and the Virginia Department of Health are teaming up to host a free flu shot event on Saturday, Oct. 24. The event will run from noon to 4 p.m. at Carilion’s Riverside Parking Garage (Riverside Circle, Roanoke, VA 24016).
No registration is required, and flu shots will be available for anyone 6 months or older (minors must be joined by a parent or guardian). This will be a drive-thru clinic, and masks are required.
Providers also remind the public that many of the safety precations taken for Covid-19 can also help prevent the spread of the flu. In addition to a flu shot, experts encourage community members to:
- Wear a mask or face covering whenever around people outside of your immediate household.
- Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds.
- Practice social distancing (stay at least six feet away from others).
- Stay home and seek care if you’re feeling sick.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 24, noon to 4 p.m.
- Where: Carilion’s Riverside Parking Garage (Riverside Circle, Roanoke, VA 24016)
For more information about Carilion’s flu prevention efforts, visit CarilionClinic.org/flu.