A magnificent altar was donated by St. Elias to the Catholic Historical Museum of the Roanoke Valley and it now graces the many religious collections on display.
The restoration took two years of hard work in the garage of John Vitello as part of an Eagle Scout Project. John is a Cave Spring student and found this project an opportunity to not only show leadership but to also to benefit his community.
The altar is from the late 1930’s to early 40’s. Lead paint was present so special safety equipment was used in the restoration. The intent of the museum is to relocate to a much larger facility to expand their vast collection of artifacts. Currently the museum is located on Campbell Avenue in downtown Roanoke. John Vitello is with Troop 221 – United Methodist Church in Roanoke County.